Newport News cracks down on illegal dumping

Print
Email
|

WVEC.com

Posted on May 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Updated Friday, May 25 at 6:02 PM

NEWPORT NEWS -- The city of Newport News is cracking down on those who dump trash or other unwanted items illegally.

On Wednesday, Victor Porter of Williamsburg pleaded guilty to unlawful trespassing and unlawful dumping.  He is the latest to be convicted.

He and his business partner, Dillon Bass, received suspended jail time and had to pay $500 fines.  They will also be required to serve 30 hours of community service each.  Bass was convicted earlier this year.

Porter and Bass were caught on surveillance camera dumping chunks of concrete under a bridge in Denbigh.

Their load of concrete could have been recycled for free and dumped at the landfill for about $50 dollars a ton.

"That didn't weight 2,000 pounds.  They could have saved themselves a lot of time, a lot of money by following what the law says," explained Amy Gray, the assistant director for the city's solid waste department.

Gray says illegal dumping is happening in little pockets all over the city and that it not only looks bad, sometimes it's a health hazard, and it cost taxpayers more than $120,000 a year.


 

Print
Email
|