HAMPTON -- Looking for something unique to shake up your workout routine?
The Inaugural Hampton Manditarod gets underway on July 26. Participants will build a sled and race around Downtown Hampton while raising money for local kids in need.
Its yet another “oddball” event presented by the folks at Marker 20 restaurant and the city.
Four teammates will pull one team member on a ½ mile road course on their newly constructed sleds. The building of the sleds will take place from 4 - 6 p.m.
Racing will take place 6 - 7 p.m. There will be two heats and one final race.
Entry fee for the event is $25 per team; FREE for spectators. Proceeds raised from the event will go toward Nobleman, a non-profit organization that helps children in Hampton Roads.
The race is part of the Downtown Hampton Block Party which kicks off at 6 - 11 p.m with live music and more!
For more information click here.
1. Entry Fee $25 - all entry fees will go to the Noblemen.
2. Sleds cannot be longer than 8ft.
3. Sleds cannot be shorter than 4ft.
4. The sled cannot have wheels the sled must slide on skids.
5. The sled must be built on location Saturday July 26 4pm on.
6. Teams are responsible for bringing tools. There will be power on-site but bring your own cords.
7. Teams are responsible for bringing their own building materials.
8. No lubricants can be put on the skids.
9. 4 people must pull the sled.
10. The driver must stand on the sled on the skids.
11. The driver must be on the sled for the entire race.
12. The driver must wear a bike helmet.
13. After each heat teams can repair the sled.
14. The race course will be Queensway and Wine to Lincoln to Eaton to Queensway (1/2 mile).
15. Race officials can adjust rules at any time.
16. The team is responsible for taking the sled home.
17. Each racer must be harnessed to the sled.
- Light is fast and 2x4s are heavy; use them sparingly
- Stability is a must especially on corners
- Screws are better than nails
- The back of the skids is the best place to stand; that’s how they do it in the Iditarod